Sunday, January 18, 2015

It's about time I did another DIY!

So, I have been looking for just the thing to add a little spice to my laundry room, considering, well it's a laundry room... I'm already bored. I spend a lot of time in there though, and it's right off of the kitchen and we tend to keep the door open most of the time. 

So, with that being said, I saw a couple cute signs and what not on Pinterest and Etsy, but people were selling these things for like $60-125 (no, I am not kidding). I figured I would see what I could do on my own, for just about $20. 


TaDa!

I started by venturing to Lowe's and purchasing a board that was 1x8x8 and then had them cut it into 4 - 2' pieces. That cost be about $7.00 total. 



I was also able to find the stain I was looking for at Lowe's and paid about $4.00 for the can. I went with "Driftwood" because I wanted something really natural and beautiful, of course, pick whatever color works for you and your space! 



From there, I went to Michaels and purchased Letter stencils ($4.00 - and I can reuse them again!) , White Acrylic Paint (69 cents), and Foam brushes that they call "Foam Pouncers" ($5.00 roughly). 



When I got home, I had some extra sand paper laying around and lightly sanded the edges to avoid getting splinters in this process. 



Next, go ahead and stain your board. This is probably the most tedious part of the process just because you have to let the stain sit, wipe it off, let it sit, wipe it off, you get my drift.



Once you have reached the stain color you want, make sure to give it time to dry of course and then assemble your stencils. 



I went with simple, the word Laundry, and taped the stencils to the board to avoid them shifting and making a mess! Then I got out two different foam pouncers, the big one, and the little one. The big one was perfect for the middle of the stencil and the little was perfect for around the edges and the details. 



Peel off your stencils and let it dry. (I let mine dry overnight just to be safe).


That's it, you're done! To top it all off, you still have 3 boards left to do whatever you want with, more DIY projects and home decor, I think I might use these in our living room but will do a post on those when the time comes! Simple, Cheap, and Cute DIY for your Laundry Room!

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment